Developer forum

Forum » Development » Website Settings item data being dropped

Website Settings item data being dropped

Mikkel Toustrup Olsen

Hi all,

Me and my fellow colleagues have come across a rather weird (read annoying) error when being multiple people working on the same project and by that the same database across environments. 

The issue is, that our website settings items seems to lose their data, even though we're certain that the solution contains the lates .xml file for the given item type. Data from the items are stored in the DB (however, when it "reset" all of the data is null in the DB) ..

I'd guess we're not the only ones having this problem.

Fire away with suggestions, solutions etc. :-)

BR

Mikkel

Replies

Nuno Aguiar

HI Mikkel,

We've had this problem in the past but in older versions:

• Happened when we added a new field
  • When we saved the item, DW takes some time to properly save it
  • If you navigate away mid-process, we'd loose restrictions/definitions on the item
  • That triggered the item values on the website to be dropped as well

We also found a workaround

• Hit "Save and Close" when saving the item
  • Wait until it really closes - may take +15 seconds

Like I said, we have not experienced it for a few months now, not sure since which version. I know that it is an issue up until in 8.6.1 at least

Best Regards,

Nuno

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Does any DW guys have input on this, we are also experienceing this. Is upgrading the only option?

Regards / Aki

Nicolai Pedersen

Hi Aki

We did address the issue in a fix, so you need that upgrade to get the fix...

BR Nicolai

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Where would I find this fix? Is it 8.4.1.34 which is the only download I can find for the 8.4?

Nicolai Pedersen

I think you need to go much higher - 8.7.2+

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Alrighty. Thanks for the input. 

Rune Skovbo

Could also be related to this: http://developer.dynamicweb.com/forum/cms-standard-features/cms-standard-features/item-content-gets-deleted-on-development 

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Thanks for the input. We have tried both "Files" and "Database" as a setting for all developers. And Dynamicweb has also had different answers to what the setting should be in delelopment. 

Nicolai Pedersen
This post has been marked as an answer

Hi Aki

Choosing "Files" means that every developer will have a local copy of the item type definitions. It is XML files placed in \Files\System\Items.

Now consider 2 devs sharing the same database but they have local copis of /files. If dev1 makes a change to an item type on his machine, then the schema on the database gets updated with this new field. Now dev2 goes and do stuff on the solution, but since he does not have the new schema, but the old one, the field gets deleted again. And this will eventually cause the total loss of data.

Choosing "Database" and syncronisation means that all those XML files with itemtypes gets moved into the database in the table ItemTypeDefinitions - so when one developer makes a change, it will go into the database, and developer 2 will get the same schema right away.

Chossing "All" (should have been called "Combination") means that DW gives you a local copy of the XML file from the database and adds the changes you make to the database so it gets synced to dev2.

In your setup you should choose database.

BR Nicolai

Votes for this answer: 1

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Hi,

That is basically my understanding of how it works. Problem was that even when all devs had the setting on "Database" we still experienced problems with dataloss.

But the upgrade seem to have fixed it.  

/Aki

Aki Ruuskanen
Aki Ruuskanen

Nicolai, just to be sure.  If we use the setting "Database", does that mean we can drop the XML files?

Nicolai Pedersen

Yes

You must be logged in to post in the forum